Friday, July 16, 2010

Top 10 Reasons Why HR Professionals Should Use Metrics

I speak and consult a lot on the topic of HR Metrics and it is one topic that I have been passionate about for a long time.  I always begin every one of my discussions with the business case for metrics.  Undoubtedly, I still get the question, "Why should I (HR) be concerned about metrics?"

Here are my top 10 reasons to why HR should be using metrics:

10.  Because Dave Ulrich and Jac Fitz-Enz says so
  9.  Measuring stuff is "in" this year
  8.  My boss is the CFO and he told me to
  7.  I heard, "what measures gets done" at a conference
  6.  I like those scorecards with all the pretty graphs and colors

And now, for my serious reasons....

 5. Performance is king, using this metric with other data is critical to retention, productivity, and engagement
4. Your C-Suite is much more demanding of data from HR post-recession
3. Your people as a competitive advantage depends on measurements leading to improvements and business results
2.  HR has been talking about being strategic, metrics is a tool that allows you to BE strategic
1.  If you are not using metrics you are already behind, companies now are moving from metrics to analytics  (to be predictive)

And here is reason number 1(A):  IF HR DOESN'T OWN HR METRICS SOMEONE ELSE WILL.

I personally prefer to keep HR metrics within HR.  So, if you aren't the number crunching type, then go out find yourself a great statistician, teach them the HR technical stuff if they don't know it and start measuring!!!

What are your reasons for measuring HR?  Perhaps, we can make this a top 20 list!
Post a Comment