Saturday, December 11, 2010

Help! I am STUCK and Can't Up!






Have you ever worked on a very difficult project?
Have you ever been in a challenging brainstorming session?
Have you ever embarked on a piece of work, that you knew at the end was going to be GREAT, but right now it is hard?

Well, I have to answer YES to all three of the questions above. Over the last few weeks my business partner, Barbara Hughes and I have embarked on one of the most challenging, interesting, and coolest projects ever.

We are working on writing our first book. There. It's out there. We have to deliver.

(No pressure)

But, as we go through our thinking process, our methodology, our voice....we have moments that we land at the same concept in very different ways. Barbara is super smart and super strategic. I am very, very process-oriented, experiential and detailed-driven. I will get there...but I need to touch it, feel it, and see it before I can completely grasp the idea and run with it. I need a method to all the madness and she loves the madness. It's a great combo for an awesome end result!

We recognize our different thinking styles thanks to HBDI and when we get to a place of "stuckness" we just go shopping! LOL. Or we just do something else. But we recognize it, and it DOES NOT HINDER OUR GOAL.

I say all of this as I started thinking about how this plays out in organizations. What happens when people get stuck on a difficult project? I have been on teams previously where this has happened. Either the project gets stalled or the team members shut down and no one can figure out how to move forward.

How do you get UNSTUCK? Tell me more...
Post a Comment