1. Choosing the metrics to link to employee engagement2. Determining the logistics of the research3. Sharing results of the research with employees to create an action plan to achieve improvements.
- Make sure you link to the right metrics. Look at your industry and company and make sure that you understand what drives your revenue and/or what impacts your strategic execution.
- Make sure your data is reliable and valid. This is one of the hardest areas for most HR professionals. When it comes to data hygiene HR hasn't been the best.
- Look at how you will be analyzing your data. Data is everywhere in your company. To be able to look at data system wide you have to have a unit of comparison. Whether that unit is by department or by location. You have to compare apples to apples.
- Tell a compelling story. Don't just do a show and tell of ALL of you cool data. Paint a picture on what you found out and what it means to YOUR AUDIENCE.
- Follow through on your observations and recommendations with action plans that hold managers and employees accountable for change.