Thursday, December 29, 2011
Well it's that time of year again, when we bloggers look into our crystal balls and predict what's going to happen next year. Check out this link for Laurie Ruettimann's predictions here. I always read her's.
I want to take a slightly different slant for my predictions this year...I would like to think about how we will know when HR as a profession has "made it?" We have been talking about improvements to this function for years...and years.
And years. So...
How will we know that HR is #winning? (had to use the lame hashtag). Here are just a few of my thoughts on the subject:
1) When HR and CEO's are working towards the same objectives.
2) When HR knows exactly how much value it adds to the organization
3) When the organization is #winning
4) When retention is high, performance is increasing and innovation is expected
5) When data and analytics are no longer scary and avoided but embraced and acted upon
6) HR has left its legacy of personnel and firmly branded itself as a department that is integral to success for the organization
7) The organizational brand and employment brand are linked and working for consumers and candidates
8) Business discussions are the norm for HR Execs not just headcount and turnover discussions
9) HR Execs are seen as "likely" candidates for CEO or COO positions.
10) HR professionals have diverse backgrounds including finance, accounting, customer service, marketing and statistics. Not just technical HR stuff.
I don't know how long this list will take...I see some HR departments that are darn close...so it may be 2012 for those organizations.
How can you tell if HR is #winning?