Monday, May 14, 2012

Drama Queens at Work

I needed a little comic relief this week, so I am off topic today!

I am from the South and there is nothing I like more than telling a story and being extra dramatic using my best Southern girl drawl.  I have many friends (and a Mom) that have a flair for the's fun.

But at work....that is another story.

Do you know this person?

You have an employee that can't make it to work on time...ever.  The excuses seem to come right out of a Hollywood script.

"I was on my way to work when all of the sudden a tractor trailer full of mayonnaise wrecked in front of me and I slid all over I- 285."

And then there is the employee that can't get along with anyone:

"Joe is making it impossible for me to work today.  His cube is right beside mine and he keeps sneezing and blowing his nose.  I need to be moved."

And then we have the managers and supervisors who jockey for position:

"I noticed Al didn't get his status report on time.  I hear he may be looking for another job.  Just know you can count on me, if you need me to pitch in, just let me know." (as he is winking at you)

I think the best of all drama comes from the executives.  I can steal a few from recent headlines:

"Yahoo CEO resigns over falsifying resume."
"HP CEO resigns over inappropriate relationship with a contractor"

When I was in HR for corporate America, I sometimes felt more like a referee than anything else.  I believe this is why I no longer work in that environment.

Why can't we just do work while we are at work?  Why do we have to bring all of our baggage, drama, and crap to work?  I guess its because that is where we spend a lot of our time and we are all human.  I know I have had my fair share over the last few years.

So what are your best drama tell!

Post a Comment