Thursday, December 27, 2012

Looking Forward to 2013




Have you ever been at the last week of one year and you are feeling extremely optimistic about the next one?  Well that's how I am feeling.  It's the first time in a LONG time that I am feeling that way both personally and professionally.

I know as a blogger I am supposed to make predictions about what is going on in HR next year...well I am not going to do that this year as I believe we all know what HR will be focused on in the next 5 years...given the last 5 years!  (well maybe just one little prediction, see below)

So here is why I am excited and optimistic about my 2013:

1) I am President of SHRM-Atlanta.  That is a big deal to me and I look forward in leading our 2600+ members down a path of business leadership.  I have wanted to be in this position for a long time and it's here.

2) I am personally responsible for myself for the first time in 20 years! That feels great.  I also am working hard on "motivating" my son through college as I want him to be personally responsible at a much younger age.

3) My business partner is retiring in 2014.  That's hard for me personally, but I know she is not going away as I believe her HOME is in Atlanta.  Professionally that leaves me with some challenges about what do I WANT TO do, and what direction am I going to go.  Scary but hey, its reality.  I have learned so much being in business with Barbara Hughes, so I am armed and ready!

4) My glass is half full on the economy.  I love all the positive news that is coming out regarding housing, unemployment, and consumer optimism (depending on the status of the fiscal cliff. LOL).  Good news breeds more good news.

5) HR is uniquely positioned to be a power player.  HR understands now what business leaders need.  HR understands that people are a company's competitive advantage.  HR understands it must show and add value.  HR is getting ready to prove all of those...HR is more than administration, HR is business leadership.

6) I did some personal and professional house cleaning this year.  I used to pride myself in having a full plate.  It used to be "who I was."  I cleaned that plate off completely.  I looked at all my activities and let go of those that I needed to let go of.  I looked at people and separated myself from those that aren't positive and uplifting.  I am proud to say my plate has a few very important things and people on it and I am better for it.

7) Speaking of plates...I need to get my literal one under control.  In other words I need to put less food on my plate.  That is a challenge for me and I will make progress next year on becoming a healthier person.

8) I want to learn something new next year.  I haven't figured out what yet, but I can take courses at my local college for free because I am an adjunct.  Maybe a language, maybe something technical, maybe flower arranging...not sure yet.

I am raising my virtual glass to say cheers to all my friends, colleagues, readers and family.  I look forward to a great year with all of you!!!


3 comments:

Nancy Vepraskas said...

Cathy, this is a great list and one that gets us all thinking. I'm very excited about your SHRM year and proud of you for cleaning off your work plate in order to focus on priority life and business instead of busy-ness! I look forward to connecting throughout the year. And congrats to Barb for activating her retirement plan!

Cathy Missildine-Martin, SPHR said...

Well thanks Nancy. I sure do appreciate the kind words. It's been through kneaders like you that I have learned many great lessons from. I hope your 2013 is awesome on all fronts!

Cathy

Dawn Anderson said...

Taking time to evaluate where you've been, what you've learned and most importantly - where you are going is critical. Thanks for the reminder.