Tuesday, September 3, 2013

What's Up With Your HR Metrics?

I have been so blocked the last few months regarding my blog.  I used to pump out posts every Monday rain or shine.  This year it's been tough.  I am not sure why I have this writer's block.  Maybe it's because I am going in 19 directions and can't focus.  Maybe it's because my world is about as polar opposite as it was five years ago and I am shell shocked.  Maybe I have run out of things to talk about.

How can that be true?  I am never at a loss for words.

I have been writing this blog focusing around being strategic in HR and HR metrics since 1998.  Maybe I have covered it all.  (not hardly!)

I do know that HR metrics and analytics are now part of the HR conversation.  No matter what you read, HR metrics is an area where HR is spending time, money and resources.  So, I should have plenty to say.

I think I was talking about all this stuff before everyone was ready to listen.

So, now I think I will do the listening.  I do see the change in HR conversations.  I see the change in how HR is approaching metrics.  Change takes time.

So...tell me what is going on in your organizations as it related to HR metrics.  Is there a priority around metrics?  Are you creating a HR dashboard?

What do you still want to know about metrics (this should give me some topics!)

If you still don't want to discuss metrics, how about commenting on my dog Titan...

4 comments:

paraman52 said...

One thing that we are doing in GA DOT, although not specific to HR, is we are developing an expanded version of a course that we developed last year to teach managers about performance management, and how to use it to get the most out of their respective organizations.

In the expanded version, we go beyond teaching managers how to develop and use performance measures in running their organizations (i.e., from the data, and not just from the gut), to how to implement performance management within their organizations. It should come as no surprise that the additional skillset needed entails soft skills, such as overcoming resistance to change; getting buy-in; etc.

Anonymous said...

Our challenge is not in the developing of the metrics, nor in getting the data - we have cracked that. It comes from colleagues who do not understand the metrics and how they can add value at a strategic (that is, big picture) level. It seems that we must help those who want to focus on the individual and on short term issues, and who are not comfortable both with the "math" of it all AND with thinking big picture. I continue to search for the audience who is willing and able to think out several years and about larger groups / patterns of data, but I wonder if the trend toward analytics is going to be widespread or just one part of HR and not infused into everything.

Cathy Missildine said...

@paraman52, thanks for stopping by. I love that you are training our managers to USE the metrics (implementing performance management) that is awesome. I bet that is a huge change in perception and culture for you guys. Have you guys had much resistance?

@anonymous your last statement is an interesting one, "I wonder if the trend toward analytics is going to be widespread or just one part of HR and not infused into everything?"

I am thinking widespread, just by the mere demand for the data from the top down, what's your opinion?

Thanks for reading-
Cathy

Anonymous said...

I am not a fan at all of the metrics, but it seems to be the trend everywhere.
Data and number are more and more the norm, but how do do evaluate the human and the qualitative part of HR?
I can look at the turnover, the retention rate, the training rate, but you can look at numbers and make them say whatever you want.
A couple of years ago, when working for an emergency non profit organization, I was asked to develop metrics to evaluate our recruitment. Long story short, we had to consider so many variables, we were depending on so many different people, it took so much time and energy to collect the data and evaluate it, that it became an impossible project. There were so many exceptions and contingencies that it did not mean anything anymore. I must admit that the definition of the metrics could have been the problem, but ultimately, nobody used the data that could not prove anything.

What does it mean to have a retention rate of X % versus Y%? Are you a good employee if you bring X more clients? What does it mean if, at the same time, you loose X+n clients?

How do you measure team efforts? How do you avoid competition because metrics measure your individual bonus?

I am not convince by the all numbers approach.