Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Changing a Profession Takes Courage


Taking the bull by the horns

Making decisions quick and asking for forgiveness later

Speaking up, demanding to be heard

The three statements above have one thing in common.  It takes courage to do all three.  I have been thinking about some of the common themes I have heard from over 600+ HR professionals that have come to our workshop, "Moving HR from Transactional to Strategic: Becoming an Effective HR Business Leader."  One of the themes I have been giving some thought to is the idea of courage in HR.

I think it's time to rustle up all the courage we have as a profession.  At a time where we have our National Association fighting like siblings over our credentials, our profession continues to struggle.  We have made strides post recession, but as Joe Gerstandt would say, "we need to fly our freak flags."  HR needs to do an about face and revolutionize the way companies manage their most precious asset, it's talent.  We need to make sure we use our INFLUENCE and IMPACT to make our businesses successful AND profitable.

In our workshops, we have heard statements like:
"I feel like I can go back to my company and demand to be involved in strategy.  The absence of HR in those discussions could be the difference in executing flawlessly on strategy or failing miserably."
I could not agree more.   When I ask our attendees why they don't BE MORE DEMANDING, I hear responses like these:

  • HR has been told its broken for years so why bother
  • HR professionals do not realize how what they do IMPACTS the bottom line
  • HR professionals that understand the impact, can't MEASURE it
  • Business leaders outside of HR have preconceived notions that HR is administrative 
  • Courage is not a characteristic usually associated with HR professionals due to lack of respect
The last one of course made me pause for a minute, but then I realized:
 Courage is something that everybody wants — an attribute of good character that makes us worthy of respect
And then it hit me...finance and accounting may be a necessary evil, but when they talk people listen.  Those functions are respected.   The same sentiments for sales, the are respecting because they have tangible results.

It's not about the piece of furniture...the question becomes how can I gain my company's respect.  Answer....Be bold, don't wait on invitations, speak up, solve problems, do something innovative, dye your hair, get a tattoo....BE COURAGEOUS!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great reminder in a short quick summary! Thanks.